Kansas City Metro Area Missouri & Kansas
(Average fee: $50 - $125)
Carbon monoxide, known by the chemical formula "CO", is a poisonous gas that kills over 250 people every year in the United States alone. They call it the "Silent Killer" because you can't see, hear, smell, or taste it. It sneaks up on victims and takes lives without warming. CO is a by-product of an incomplete combustion. Sources of CO include: malfunctioning or improperly ventilated appliances (furnaces, space heaters, water heaters, ranges, fireplaces, etc. that burn gas, oil, wood, or LPG) when the exhaust vent systems of appliances malfunction or if appliances aren't properly ventilated, the amount of CO in the air can become deadly.
Other CO sources include exhaust fumes from a car or lawn mower idling in the garage, chimney flues blocked by debris or a birds nest, a furnace or water heater installed in a closet with inadequate ventilation, or charcoal grills used in unvented areas, etc.
Testing for CO is fairly simple and quick with the proper equipment. While the Holmes Inspector is performing the home inspection on your new home and operating the fossil fuel burning appliances, we can run a CO check on various appliances in the house to see if there are any excess CO levels present at that time. It takes about 20 minutes to do a CO check on the average 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with 1 furnace, water heater, fireplace, etc. Our fee for this service is $35. On larger houses with more systems or if we were not already doing a home inspection and asked to perform this testing by itself, the fee would be higher.
Contact Holmes Inspection Company
for more information on carbon monoxide testing.